Tuesday, January 23, 2007

What then are we left with?

"What are we left with then?"
This was the question a church goer asked about a month ago when I was telling him (in jest) my idea for the new Para-Church ministry I had come up with. "Jazz Hands for Jesus." It would be street evangelism team that did interprative dance depicting the events of the "Left Behind" Books, set to the music of Carmen.
(Note: when I was about 10 yrs. My parents gave me a carmen tape for Christmas. There was a song about Demons. I cried. I no longer liked Carmen.)
Anyways, about three weeks later, I was at a rodeo and this same church goer was there. The rodeo ended with the song "I can only imagine." while a little colt was corraled in smoke and fog around the ring. As this was happening, announcers pontificated on "a purpose driven life" hermanutic of God and existentialism... (Ie: God wants you to be a astronaut if that's what you want to be).
I was a bit offended by this display because it was out of place (after seeing calves being clotheslined, Bulls spurred, and the like all for show.) I called it sacrine and trite, and this church goer attacked me. Basically saying that I hate all things Christian and I am Christians' worst enemy for being critical of things with a Christian label.
However, after about 2 weeks of deliberating and thinking about this, I have come to realize that being critical of things that are called "Christian" is actually more orthodox than passivly injesting alot of the crap that is produced and dilute the true meaning of the gospel.
I strive to be a Berean critic of our culture and espcially things that carry the lable of "Christian." Check out Acts 17:11 to find out more about the Bereans.

Thus, I have concluded that I am not an enemy of Christian interaction with Culture, I am just decerning and encourage others to be dercerning too. Thus, I am not a fan of the Left Behind Books, I don't listen to much of the music on K-Love, I laugh at South Park because it points out truthes and areas in which I can help the church be less hypocritical. Also, I don't fear people haveing a different view than me. If you love Left Behind, that's great, but don't tell me it is on par with apocolyptical literature that has been shaping western civilization for the last 2000 years, and then call me "Too Intellectual" because of this.
So the question is this: "What then are we left with?" My answer is alot. Here are just a few things that are Christian in base and high quality that honnors God through its creative process and is more powerful and life changing than pulp-fiction and pre-packaged love songs to the holy spirit.

Music:
U2, Damien Jurardo, Handel, Johnny Cash, Sufjan Stevens, Pedro the Lion, David Bazan, TJ Walsh, The Soft Drugs, Anything by the Worship Circle people, and on and on and on

Books:
Fydor Dostevesky, Brennan Manning, Madaline L'engle, Nikos Kazantzakis, John Updike, St. John of the Cross... and on and on and on

Dallas Williard left the pastorate to go teach in secular colleges because he knew that if he stayed the world outside Christendom would write him off. And really isn't that what we are called to do? Shouldn't we strive to go out and make disiples of all nations? Should this not be part of the media Christendom produces? No wonder the world laughs and skewers Christianity for this, it seems that we have created a market share of amusing ourselves, and forgot our mandate.

(Note: I know this sounds accusatory and I know there is a place for the WOW 2006 CD's, but I think we in Christendom has developed a tendency to entertaining ourselves in an ivory tower we have built. And the walls are covered with Kurt Cammeron posters, and we play the Joel Orsteen board game.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home